Still want a PS5? Sony is going to charge you more for it
"PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates" says Sony
Talk about punching us when we’re down – Sony is celebrating Gamescom by increasing the price of the PlayStation 5 in the UK, Europe, Japan, China, Australia, Mexico and Canada but not in the US.
As if Sony’s console hasn’t been hard enough to get hold of with supply issues possibly lasting until 2024, the UK price will rise by £30, with similar levels of increase elsewhere. The question is – will the move embolden other tech companies to do the same – will Xboxes get more expensive, too, for example?
Jim Ryan, head of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), said: “The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing. We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries.
“Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States.”
Ryan also acknowledged the supply issues, saying “our top priority continues to be improving the PS5 supply situation so that as many players as possible can experience everything that PS5 offers and what’s still to come.”
These are the new RRPs for the console as noted on the PlayStation Blog:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
- Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99