The number one accessory for a phone or tablet is not a weird case that lets you watch Netflix with the screen on your belly. It’s a decent pair of headphones. In-ears are where they’re at these days and increasingly in-ears are completely wireless (sometimes called true wireless) and come in a charging case.
After all, a good pair of wireless headphones is something you can use every single day of the year. Maybe it’s a better buy than that VR headset you might use for two weeks then leave to gather dust until it’s out of date.
There are several things you need to consider when buying a pair of in-ears – sound quality being important, but there’s also comfort and fit – how adjustable it is – as well as specification. Do they have noise cancelling? Will they work well with your devices? Is there a case and does it have wireless charging? How long is the battery life?
There are numerous factors to think about but there can only be one list to be on – here’s our guide to the best wireless earphones around.
Our pick of the best in-ear earphones
- Articulate, convincing sound
- Great call quality
- Ergonomically impeccable
- Good battery life & fast rapid charge
- Excellent stay-put fit
- Responsive controls
- Bulky case and no off-switch on buds
- Noise-cancelling as good as you’d expect from Bose
- 11 levels of ANC in the app
- Good seal
- Bassy but balanced listen
- Exquisite sound quality
- Clever Bluetooth charging case
- Fantastic build quality
- Comfortable and secure fit
- Decent noise cancellation
- Sound quality
- App simplicity
Never mind the width, listen to the quality – it’s all here
- Outstanding across-the-board sound quality
- Great control app
- But no ANC and disappointing battery life
- Expansive, confident sound
- aptX Bluetooth 5.1
- Great app and touch controls
- Great design and very comfortable
- Balanced, detailed sound
- Adaptive ANC on board